Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A hand for the Handi-Vac

OK, I'm not the biggest fan of name-brand products that clutter up the grocery aisles, but Reynolds has scored big for the serious cook with their Handi-Vac. I just opened up a package of tortillas (I love Mexican food, so I buy the 500-count packages ... OK, I guess they are really just 60-count, but that's a stack of tortillas ... but then I freeze them, 18 to two dozen to a quart size bag) from the freezer that I put in over a month ago, and they taste just like the ones I used from the never-frozen bag. A winner! And you can rinse them out and use them again, at least for dry goods, to cut down on the trash. My sister-in-law once gave me a vacuum sealer, but it was so clunky that I avoided taking it out to use it and eventually sold it off in a garage sale. But this gadget is so small and easy to use I can keep it in the drawer with the bags. 

No comments: